An increasing number of patients are receiving root canal treatments to save their teeth from extraction. The treatment itself is a tedious process that requires patients to come back to the dentist’s office multiple times before the entire procedure has been carried out and the tooth is completely disease-free and restored back to regain its functionality. The dentist’s responsibility may stop there, but yours does not. After root canal treatment, patients will be advised to carry out the following aftercare steps to ensure that the tooth heals properly and infection is avoided.
- Keep your post-treatment medication up-to-date. If necessary, keep a list of the medicines, their dosages, timing, and indication, and take them as directed by your dentist.
- Keep track of your antibiotic medicine if you are treating an infection
- Keep your dental appointment so that your dentist can monitor the condition of the tooth and see how well it is healing
- Do not smoke during the recovery period. In fact, you may want to consider quitting during this time. Smoking impairs your body’s ability to heal, which could lead to complications after root canal surgery.
- Pay attention to your body, if you develop a fever, or if the affected tooth hurts progressively even with pain medication, or if swelling occurs, or if the pain radiates to your cheeks or your gums, seek professional care immediately.
Schedule a personal appointment with one of our experts at the Gentle Dental Care facility if you need more information about root canal therapy or post-treatment care by calling (732) 549-5660.