What is Invisalign®?
Are You Looking for a Dentist who does Invisalign®? Look no further than Gentle Dental! Invisalign® braces are clear plastic aligner trays offered at Gentle Dental Care serving Edison, Metuchen & South Plainfield, New Jersey, that provide orthodontic patients with straight teeth and an even, healthy smile. The trays are custom-fabricated for each patient to ensure precise pressure and gradually move teeth into better alignment.
Invisalign is a non-invasive and more aesthetically pleasing approach to correcting tooth and bite alignment problems compared to traditional metal and tooth-colored braces. It is especially beneficial for patients who feel self-conscious about wearing traditional braces. Call (732) 549-5660 today for your consultation in our Edison, NJ office!
What Conditions Can Be Treated With Invisialign?
Invisalign® is able to handle most orthodontic needs. This system can’t be used in cases where severe movement needs to be accomplished, but most mild to moderate cases are perfect for Invisalign®. Here are problems we correct with Invisalign® at Gentle Dental:
- Gaps between teeth
- Crooked teeth
- Unevenly spaced teeth
- Crowded teeth
Why Choose Invisalign®?
You should strongly consider Invisalign® because it offers three main benefits compared to traditional braces.
- First, the trays are clear plastic. Unlike other “invisible” braces that still feature metal wires, there is no metal at all in the Invisalign® trays. This makes them even less noticeable than both tooth-colored ceramic braces and lingual braces (the kind attached to the tongue-side surface of the teeth). Once you get used to talking normally with the trays in your mouth, other people may not even be able to tell you are wearing braces.
- Second, there are no brackets or ties. This means there are no protruding components that can irritate the tongue, gums and other sensitive oral tissues. You do not need to coat Invisalign® braces with dental wax to stay comfortable.
- Third, these trays are removable. You can (and should) remove the trays for each meal and during tooth brushing and flossing. You can eat a normal, healthy diet without restricting foods that might get stuck in or damage metal braces. Since the trays do not interfere with normal hygiene by making flossing more challenging, you may be less likely to experience tooth decay and gingivitis as a side effect of orthodontic treatment. Contact the experts at Gentle Dental Care to learn more about Invisalign® tray’s benefits.
How Is Invisalign Different From Other Invisible Braces?
Some people think that Invisalign® and invisible braces are the same thing. They aren’t. Invisalign® uses clear acrylic aligner trays to move the teeth. They are worn just like a sports mouth guard. They can be removed for eating and cleaning the teeth. They are very comfortable and do not rub the gums or lips in any way. They are completely clear and very difficult for anyone to detect even when talking with you at close range.
Invisible braces are simply traditional braces that use ceramic for the bands/brackets. These can either be transparent or made to match the color of your teeth. Wires connect the bands to create pressure to move the teeth. These brackets are more visible than Invisalign®, as are the wires connecting them.
Invisible braces cause the same tongue, lip, and cheek irritation as traditional braces. They are also more painful when adjusted once every month.
Invisible braces can be used for more severe orthodontic movement than Invisalign®. Invisalign® is designed for moderate movement. Invisible braces can treat severe crossbites, malocclusions, very crooked teeth, and flaws with the jaw.
Invisalign® Procedure Overview
The treatment process:
- Starts with a visual dental exam and a consultation.
- Photos, x-rays and computer imaging are used to create a precise treatment plan that will deliver the results you want. This digital technology lets you see what your final smile will look like before you even start using Invisalign®.
- Molds of your upper and lower teeth are sent to the Invisalign® laboratory so your aligner trays can be custom made.
- All of the trays used during your treatment are created at the same time.
- Once your trays arrive, installation is as simple as placing them over your teeth.
How Much Does Invisalign® Cost?
These clear plastic aligner trays generally cost about as much as traditional braces. Some dental insurance plans cover a portion of treatment costs. Other affordable payment options are available for patients without insurance.
Teeth Straightening FAQS
If you are considering getting Invisalign®, you must be willing and able to wear the trays as instructed for best results. Invisalign® is most commonly used to correct mild to moderate tooth crookedness and spacing issues. Patients with severe bite problems are usually treated with traditional braces instead because they can be augmented with additional orthodontic appliances like bands or headgear. If you have fixed dental restorations such as bridges or dental implants, you may not be a good candidate for Invisalign® treatment.
- You must wear these trays at least 22 hours per day.
- Every two-to-three weeks, you will move on to the next set of trays in your treatment series.
- This way, you keep constant, gentle pressure on your teeth to move them into the correct position. You will need a quick checkup visit every six weeks or so to ensure treatment is progressing as planned. Invisalign® trays don’t require any special care. You can simply brush them gently and rinse them with warm water whenever you take them out.
Because Invisalign® braces are typically used for less severe bite misalignment, treatment may last six-to-18 months. However, some patients need more time to achieve their desired results. After you are finished with your aligner trays, you will be fitted with a retainer. You must wear this retainer as directed to keep your teeth from drifting back to their old position.
While Invisalign® braces are very comfortable compared to metal braces, they may cause initial soreness by placing pressure on your teeth. You may experience a recurrence of soreness each time you switch to a new set of trays. Over the counter pain relievers may help with this symptom.
After your teeth are moved with any orthodontic procedure the movement needs to be made permanent. With traditional braces, this is done with a retainer. Retainers can be somewhat uncomfortable as they are clicked into the roof of the mouth. Instead of hard plastic retainers with wires, Invisalign® uses Vivera® retainers made of the same material as your original Invisalign® aligners. The retainers are somewhat thicker and more durable because they need to be worn for longer periods than the two-week aligners. Patients receive four Vivera® retainers.
We see our Invisalign® patients every six weeks during their treatment. This allows us to monitor your progress, and we provide the next sets of aligner trays during these appointments.
This is not uncommon, but, of course, the best advice is to be careful with your trays. This isn’t the end of the world. You need to get in touch with us at Gentle Dental and tell us you lost a tray.
Don’t automatically advance to the next set of trays and keep the loss a secret. Unless you are quite near the end of the cycle of the tray you lost, this can alter treatment. If you’re near the time to change out your trays, we may ask you to try the next set and see if they fit. But you can’t force this.
Your Invisalign® treatment includes the potential cost of replacing two trays. We can simply order a replacement of the tray in question from Invisalign®. This will take a couple weeks, but that’s about all that your treatment will be delayed by the loss of a tray.
You’ll receive instructions on how to care for your aligner trays, but here are the basics.
You have options for cleaning the trays. Because you can simply take out your aligners and brush them with your toothbrush, keeping both your teeth and your aligners clean is much easier than with traditional braces. You remove them and gently brush them every night with a toothbrush. You can also soak your aligners in denture cleaner, Retainer Brite®, or the official Invisalign® crystals to keep them clean and sanitized. Or, another option is to use clear anti-bacterial soft hand soap to clean your aligners. You simply rub the trays all over with your fingers and the soap.
"I had my invisalign done at this office by dr.Strober and im super excited on how my teeth are coming out. everyone in the office is very friendly and the assistant told me everything and made me feel comfortable about my decision.so far im very happy and cant wait to see the end result." - F.T.
Call Our Experienced Dentists For Invisalign® In Edison, NJ!
If you have any questions about getting Invisalign®, please feel free to give us a call at 732.549.5660. Or, you can fill out the form in our contact page for an appointment with our dentists. We hope to be your practice of choice when looking for Invisalign® in Edison, Piscataway Township, New Brunswick, Metuchen, or Woodbridge Township, NJ! Want to read more about Gentle Dental Care and our offered services? Visit our blog!