iTero for Invisalign® in Edison, NJ
What is iTero and what is it used for?
iTero is a state-of-the-art intraoral scanner that we use at Gentle Dental when working with our Invisalign® patients. The iTero scanner creates 3D images of the patient’s teeth and gums that are then used to plan the necessary tooth movement with Invisalign®. Once we complete the iTero scan, we plot the tooth movement and share the 3D before-and-after images with the patient. These images and data are then sent to Align Technology to fabricate the Invisalign® aligners that the patient will wear.
How does iTero work?
The iTero scanner uses red laser light and white LED light to capture thousands of pictures of the inside of the patient’s mouth. It then instantly assembles them into an incredibly accurate 3D model of the mouth, teeth, and gums.
When we are scanning the patient’s mouth, we insert the hygienic, ergonomic-shaped scanner “wand.” The iTero system uses low-radiation lasers to take up to 20 images a second as we work from tooth to tooth around your upper and lower jaw. The iTero system software then assembles all of these photos into 3D images of both the upper and lower teeth. The patient can see this as the scans are being made on the system screen, which sits chairside.
Using these 3D images, your Gentle Dental dentist then plans out the necessary tooth movement. The patient can see the before-and-after comparison of where the teeth currently are to where they will end up.
How long does it take to scan my teeth with iTero?
An entire scan of a patient’s mouth takes less than 10 minutes.
What are the advantages of iTero compared to taking impressions?
We’re thrilled by the benefits and advantages for our patients when using the iTero intraoral scanner.
It’s comfortable for patients
- No more impression goop.
- No more trouble breathing.
- No more gagging.
- No more unpleasant smells and tastes.
- Scans are displayed immediately, as the iTero system compiles the images into a 3D final image.
- The system synchs directly with Invisalign; delivering the data to Align Technology to create the aligner trays is seamless.
It’s more accurate
- iTero is more accurate than taking impressions.
- Provides more information so that the Invisalign aligners fit more precisely.
- Eliminates the need to retake impressions.
It’s right there chairside
- Patients can see the iTero screen chairside, so they can see their 3D smile as it is being assembled.
- The chairside screen allows patients to see the progression of their tooth movement, so they feel as if they are a part of the process.