What Does Family Dentistry Mean?
Family dentistry offers comprehensive diagnosis, preventive care and treatment of common dental problems for patients of all ages. Since it’s never too early or too late to start taking better care of your teeth, picking a dentist who can take care of your whole family is always a smart choice. Remember that good dental hygiene practices are learned at home and at the dentist’s office. It’s very beneficial to have a professional in your corner to provide advice on the most effective ways to promote oral health at every stage of life.
We are located in Edison, NJ, which is near Metuchen, and South Plainfield, NJ. At Gentle Dental, we see patients of all ages, shapes and sizes.
What Does A Family Dentist Do?
Some of the most common services, treatments and procedures performed at Gentle Dental include:
- Oral Health Examination: This involves a visual examination of the teeth, gums and jaw to check for signs of decay, disease, bite misalignment, crooked or poorly spaced teeth and other abnormalities. X-rays, TMJ and oral cancer screenings fall into this category.
- Prophylactic Cleaning: This is a basic preventive treatment that includes removing minor plaque and tartar buildup to reduce the risk of gingivitis and cavities. It leaves teeth feeling fresh and clean. Getting a preventive cleaning every six months is ideal for most children and adults.
- Gum Disease Intervention: Treatments for moderate gingivitis and early stages of periodontitis involve scaling teeth. This just means scraping off tartar below the gum line where it builds up and causes gum irritation. It may also involve root planning (smoothing the tooth root so bacteria and plaque can’t build up as easily).
- Fluoride Treatment & Dental Sealant: These preventive treatments are usually recommended for children to limit tooth decay. However, adults can also request these procedures. Fluoride gel is applied topically a couple of times per year. Dental sealant is brushed onto the chewing surfaces of molars where tiny grooves in the enamel can’t be adequately cleaned by toothbrush bristles. Sealant generally lasts several years.
- Root Canals: An infection in the pulp of a tooth is the most common cause of toothache. Family dentistry includes root canal procedures to relieve pain and stop the spread of bacterial infection. This treatment involves removing infected tooth pulp and restoring the tooth with a filling or crown. A less extensive treatment called a pulpotomy is used for baby teeth.
- Extractions: Extractions range from pulling baby molars that have splintered to removing decayed or damaged adult teeth. A family dentist can also perform wisdom tooth extractions. This procedure is easiest to do before children reach their late teens.
- Fillings & Crowns: These basic tooth restoration procedures are designed to fill in areas of tooth decay or damage. You can get metal amalgam and composite fillings as well as metal and ceramic crowns from a family dentist. Fillings are appropriate for patients of all ages. Ceramic crowns are most often recommended to restore adult teeth. A baby tooth can be treated with a less expensive but very durable stainless steel crown to restore function until the tooth comes out naturally.
- Tooth Whitening: This cosmetic procedure is intended for adult patients with a buildup of staining on their teeth from food and beverage consumption, smoking and other lifestyle habits. Discoloration in children’s teeth is sometimes caused by issues that surface whitening doesn’t address. So, kids may need different cosmetic treatment than adults to achieve whiter teeth.
Does a Family Dentist Serve Patients of All Ages?
Your family dental office is equipped to offer care for the entire family, yes! This can make it easy to get everyone in for their checkups and cleanings all at once. Our caring team of dental professionals understands the nuances of providing preventive and restorative care to a wide range of patients. We approach each patient with the compassion and gentleness that their situation deserves, and we explain what is happening in terms that the patient can understand. For example, for young children, dental visits are focused on prevention as much as possible. These visits are made to be fun and rewarding, knowing that seeing the dentist can be an unnerving experience. Likewise, we are mindful about our approach with teens and adults of all ages, knowing that they may have some dental anxiety or may have questions that deserve very clear answers.
We love seeing patients of all ages in our Edison, NJ dental office! Come by to meet our staff and get a feel for how we welcome families into our practice.
Can I Bring My Children to See a Family Dentist?
Yes! Children love seeing a family dentist because it means that they don't have to transition as they enter adulthood! Children can also benefit from attending a parent's dental visits before the time comes for them to begin receiving checkups and cleanings. The sooner that a child can begin coming into the office, the better they may accept having their teeth and gums examined and cleaned. If you have questions about how we work with our youngest patients, please feel free to contact our office anytime.
What Should I Look for in a Family Dentist?
There are several things you may look for when choosing a family dentist. Some say that technology is an important factor in care, others say to look for a dentist who accepts your insurance. Both can influence the care that you receive or your choices in treatment options. However, there are other aspects of dentistry that may hold more value to you. What our patients appreciate about Gentle Dental Care, LLC is the level of personalization they receive. In a family dental practice, shouldn't everyone feel like family? We think so! To offer a high standard of care, we stay up to date with the latest dental training and techniques. Dr. Strober has achieved the esteemed level of Mastership with the Academy of General Dentistry, an accomplishment achieved by a small percentage of dentists. Dr. Butkofski is a member of the local chapter of the Seattle Study Club, a national continuing education program which is run by local dentists. Dr. Hiess, who graduated in the top 5% of her class in dental school, also continues to advance her already-exemplary skills through continuing education courses.
We are committed to excellence in patient care and it shows. Not only in our commitment to ongoing training but also in the way we interact with patients on a daily basis.
How Often Should I See a Family Dentist?
The American Dental Association recommends six-month recall visits for people of all ages. If you're facing a potentially progressive dental condition like periodontal disease, we may recommend more frequent visits for a short time. Once your oral health is under control, it is acceptable to maintain visits every six months.
Are There Any Procedures a Family Dentist Cannot Provide?
The services available in one family dental practice may vary from others in the area. This is one reason why it is important to do your homework before selecting which dental group is best for your needs. Here at Gentle Dental Care, LLC, our dentists' advanced training enables our patients to benefit from a comprehensive menu of services. We can help you prevent dental disease through check-ups and cleanings and we can fill cavities. We can design lifelike dental crowns and bridges to address damage and tooth loss and can extract teeth that are not salvageable. Our dentists are also fully trained to perform dental implant treatment to replace missing teeth. Due to our wealth of education and experience, there are very few procedures that would need to be referred out to a specialist.
Why Choose A Family Dentist In Edison, NJ?
Picking one practice for the majority of your care makes it simple for everyone in your family to get their teeth examined, cleaned and treated on a regular basis. Dealing with a single dental practice makes payment and insurance claim handling simpler. You can even set aside a “tooth day” for several family members to get a cleaning in a single trip. In addition, you get to build a relationship with your dentist, dental hygienist and other staff members over time. This makes everyone in your family feel more comfortable since they are receiving care from professionals they know and trust. You can assure this type of quality when choosing a family dentist.
Having all your family’s dental records in one place ensures better continuity of care. It’s easier to spot emerging oral health problems when the same family dentistry practitioner sees you and your kids on a regular basis. Early detection and treatment that is based on full and accurate records offers the best chances for a successful outcome.
If you have any questions about our family dentist procedures, please feel free to give us a call at 732.549.5660 or click here to schedule a consultation. We hope to be your practice of choice when looking for a family dentist in Edison, Piscataway Township, New Brunswick, Metuchen, or Woodbridge Township, NJ.