When you have a missing tooth, due to fractures, gum disease, or tooth decay, some people opt to not replace it to avoid the cost and hassle. But that’s a bad idea because the surrounding teeth often will migrate over into the now-open space. Plus, without the teeth above the jawbone below starts to deteriorate and lose mass.
At Gentle Dental, we’re big fans of dental implants. Implants have become the best option for replacing teeth. Why?
The reasons for dental implants
- Implants can fully replace a tooth that has to be extracted due to excessive decay or damage.
- Implants restore normal chewing and bite force. With implants there aren’t really any foods that are off limits.
- In contrast to a bridge, which affects the teeth on either side of the missing tooth, an implant replaces only the missing tooth.
- Implants can be used to replace as many teeth as desired.
- Implants can be used to permanently anchor dentures, making them far more stable than dentures sitting atop the gums only.
- Implants keep the adjacent teeth from moving, keeping your teeth straight.
- Since implants operated exactly as a normal tooth — bite force energy is transferred through the implanted false tooth down into the jawbone, stimulating it — they stop the continuing deterioration of jawbone mass that begins when a tooth is pulled or extracted.
- Implants are highly successful and usually last for life. Long-term success rates are in the 90 to 95% range.
If you have a missing or badly damaged tooth, a dental implant is the way to replace it. Call us at (732) 549-5660 for a consultation.