Good oral health is essential for overall well-being and the prevention of cavities and gum disease. Proper brushing and flossing, along with a healthy diet, can help to prevent both cavities and periodontal (gum) disease. Drs. Brad Strober and Rebecca Kucharsky Hiess of Gentle Dental Care in Edison, NJ, encourage you to consider the following recommendations to keep a healthy smile:
- Brush your teeth. Brushing twice daily with a soft toothbrush is the best way to remove plaque, the sticky film of bacteria that can form on your teeth. Using fluoridated toothpaste helps strengthen your teeth and makes them more resistant to decay-causing acids. Be sure to brush for two minutes each time, focusing on all surfaces of your teeth, including the back sides and chewing surfaces.
- Floss your teeth. In addition to brushing your teeth, it’s important to clean between them with dental floss at least once per day. Flossing will help remove food particles and plaque from between the teeth that a toothbrush cannot reach. If you have difficulty using regular floss, try waxed or flavored varieties or use plastic dental picks with built-in floss holders.
- Eat right. Eating a balanced diet that limits sugary foods is also critical in preventing decay and gum disease. Sugary snacks should be avoided as much as possible since they contribute to the formation of plaque acid, which can cause cavities in otherwise healthy teeth. Eating crunchy vegetables and fruits, like apples, carrots, celery sticks, and pears, helps keep your gums healthy by stimulating saliva flow which neutralizes acids around the teeth.
- Visit the dentist as recommended. It is also crucial to visit the dentist regularly for checkups and professional cleanings since they often uncover issues not visible during home care. During these visits, dentists can detect signs of gum disease early on so appropriate treatment can be provided before major damage occurs down the line.
- Quit tobacco. Finally, quitting smoking is also vital for maintaining good oral health because smoking weakens gums and increases susceptibility to gum disease. Talk to your physician about ways to reduce and eliminate your nicotine addiction for overall health and wellness.
Learn More About Ways To Maintain a Healthy Smile
Prevention of common dental problems is easy with the recommendations above from Gentle Dental Care. If you live in the Edison, NJ, area and want to speak to our team about great oral health habits, call 732-549-5660.