With restorative dentistry, Drs. Brad Strober and Rebecca Kucharsky Hiess have a few options for patients to choose from when it comes to repairing a tooth. These often depend on the severity of the breakage.
Below are just some solutions the team at Gentle Dental Care may recommend after performing a full evaluation of your smile and assessing the current condition of the damaged tooth:
• Dental crown. If you have significant damage, a dental crown may be the best solution. A crown is almost a type of cap that fits over the damaged tooth, restoring its original shape and providing strength and protection.
• Fillings/Inlays/Onlays. If you have minor damage, such as cavities or chips, fillings can be used to restore the area. Inlays and onlays are more extensive fillings that fit into small spaces in your teeth for added protection and durability, and are much more conservative than traditional dental crowns.
• Dental bonding. Dental bonding uses composite resins which match the color of your natural teeth in order to repair fractures or gaps between teeth caused by breaks or chips.
• Porcelain veneers. Porcelain veneers are also an option for repairing chipped or broken teeth, as they are thin shells customized for the patient’s smile that bond onto the front of the tooth to disguise imperfections.
• Root canal therapy. In some instances, if tooth damage is significant, patients may be able to undergo root canal therapy to save their tooth from extraction. Root canal therapy is often used when damage or infection reaches the pulp of the inner canals that keep the tooth alive and cause pain and discomfort.
If a tooth is beyond repair, our team at Gentle Dental Care may recommend the removal and replacement of the natural tooth. This is done with simple or surgical extraction, and replacement options may include dentures, bridges, or dental implants. If you need to have an individual tooth removed because it cannot be saved, Drs. Brad Strober and Rebecca Kucharsky Hiess encourage you to book an appointment to find out about restorative dentistry solutions available.
Call Gentle Dental Care Today!
If you reside in Edison, NJ, do not hesitate to reach out to our dentists for an appointment by calling 732-549-5660.